BTEC LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATE IN AWARENESS OF DEMENTIA
This BTEC Level 2 Certificate is accredited by Pearson and provides learners with the opportunity to have their competence assessed and offers a learning progression from the Level 2 Award in Awareness of Dementia.
This nationally recognised qualification covers some of the knowledge and practical skills required for dementia care practice and is aimed at those working in care roles, looking after individuals with dementia.
Carers will attend the one-day Dementia Awareness Course and complete theory work in their own time, using a combination of the knowledge gained during the one-day course and any further research or reading they feel will assist them. Based on the course, each of the seven workbooks confirm and determine understanding.
THE SEVEN AREAS COVERED ARE:
- The facts about dementia and how it affects the brain. How it affects individuals in different ways, physically and cognitively.
Implement a person-centred approach in dementia care:
- Understanding the value of individuality in supporting wellbeing.
Equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia practice:
- Understanding the importance of recognising uniqueness in individuals.
Interaction and communication in dementia care practice:
- Using positive interactions and understanding communication techniques.
Enabling choices and rights in dementia care practice:
- Enabling individuals to achieve their potential through appropriate support.
Meeting nutritional requirements of individuals with dementia:
- Specific nutritional needs and how to meet them.
Person-centred assistance with medications:
- Knowledge of medication requirements and understanding the experience of assisting an individual with dementia with their medications.
- You will be set a reasonable timeframe in which to complete the workbooks and return them to the Training Team for assessment and verification. In addition to this, carers will be observed caring for their client in their workplace by their allocated assessor. This Client will need to be located in a commutable distance from Consultus Head office (Tonbridge) and be living with cognitive impairment. It is expected that you fulfil the coursework requirements within 36 weeks. Carers undertaking the BTEC qualification will be registered with, and certificated by, the awarding body Pearson.
- If you have already attended the Dementia Awareness course and completed the BTEC Level 2 Award in Awareness of Dementia you can use this as a foundation to excel in this area of study.